Monday, November 7, 2011

Cake Pops

Okay. So before I say anything. This recipe is fun and delicious, but please go into it with patience and lots of time. :) Also keep in mind this was my first attempt and may not be the best way to do this. It's what I did though. And some of it was fun. But all of it was tasty :)

1 box cake mix
1/2-1 tub of regular sized frosting (I did cream cheese)
2 things almond bark or baking chips

Lollipop sticks
Styrofoam something

Bake your cake as you would normally, let cool. Tear your cake into little bits, like so. Make sure they are small. Chunks are no good.
Mix frosting in with bits. Roll in balls, put on very lightly sprayed cookie sheet. (It helps if you spray your hands with cooking spray. It gets pretty sticky.) Get a little bit of the coating and melt it, dip the end of the sticks in it, then stick in the balls so they are sticking straight up. (The coating helps the sticks stay in the cake balls.) Put in freezer for at least a few hours.

This is the part I couldn't do and ended up having my husband and some friends do. Melt the bark or chips either on stove or in microwave, dip balls in them. If the pan or bowl is too shallow you can get a spoon and kind of spoon it on there and twirl if so it looks all pretty. Stick in styrofoam to let coating set. I would suggest putting a towel under it incase it drips.

Do not let the coating cook for too long. It gets grainy, gross, unusable and frustrating. Also if you have too much coating on one cake ball, it becomes WAY too intensely sweet. Try to find a nice even medium.
End product
The cake balls that I did. Not that pretty right?
The cake pops Jon and my friends did...hm...weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment